Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Build More Confidence - A Word About Social Anxiety

If you're like me, then you have low self-confidence due to social anxiety. This is a paralyzing disorder that can lead to depression and procrastination. Since almost everything we do is based on society, this can mean that you really don't feel like doing anything at all, and that makes it hard to have confidence or build more confidence. After all, how can you be confident around people when you're scared of what you'll say or if you might embarrass yourself?


I never realized it fully until recently, but I struggled (and still struggle) with social anxiety for many, many years. It would manifest itself in all kinds of ways, and I would even fear doing things around my house, when no one is around. That's just crazy.

My social ineptitude was magnified when I would try to talk to someone or try something new, and fail miserably. This only reinforced my already shitty self-image, and sunk me deeper into depression and isolation around strangers, especially. I've always had a close group of friends - I always seem to seek out people who display similar traits, and I feel "safe" around them. I always felt/feel more confident around them, but around strangers I was like a deer in headlights.

This sent me spiraling into alcohol abuse and depression. Since I was severely inhibited while I was sober, I decided that I liked alcohol because it took away all of those feelings of not knowing what to say or how to act around strangers. Truly, I was a lot of things on alcohol - charming, hilarious, uninhibited, assertive and dangerous - all things that I thought were great qualities, but none of which I could achieve sober because of my "shyness".

This is common in sufferers of social anxiety, and in my case it got me in a whole hell of a lot of trouble. Once my drinking went over-the-top, so did my antics, and I really didn't care one way or the other what people thought (finally!).

Building self-confidence isn't something that alcohol can do for you. Once the potion wears off, you're right back where you started, and you're probably a little more depressed that it took a beatdown on your liver and wallet to get you the guts to go and talk to that semi-pretty female playing card games on the crackbox at your local bar.

But battling social anxiety is a true bitch. The only proven method of permanent change is through Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, in which the false beliefs you have about yourself (I'm ugly, no one likes me, I could never do that, I can't talk in public, etc.) must be shown to you and systematically and slowly changed. Immersing yourself in your fears only shows you your failures and reinforces your false belief system. To make matters worse, most therapists don't really like to cite the cause "social anxiety" in their diagnoses. My guess on that is because they would rather pawn off medication on the general public to keep everyone paid, except for the suffering victim. I could go on and on about that in another blog, but this blog is about building self-confidence!

So, before you try and go out to your doctor to get yourself some Paxil or whatever, think about what you're really afraid of. If you start to ask yourself some questions, you may figure out that you're really afraid of nothing (you might already know that), and that's the first step in looking for a real way to get better, and become more confident.

No comments: